Each week on RIAPRO (Try For Free For 30-Days) we produce a series of chart books which cover buy/sell/hold recommendations for:
- Monday – Major Markets
- Tuesday – Major Sectors
- Wednesday – Our Portfolio Holdings
- Thursday Rotation – Commodities, Sub-Sectors, Breadth/Participation, or our Watch List.
We also produce daily market commentaries, portfolio action alerts, and a variety of special reports for our subscribers.
RIAPRO is a robust “Do-it-yourself” research platform which uses our technical and fundamental parameters to screen, research, and develop ideas for your own portfolios and investment strategies. From macro analysis to individual stock analysis, there is a wide range of tools available to help you manage your investment portfolio better.
The following are the latest actions we have taken in our 60/40 Equity Portfolio. Unlike most sites that use hypothetical models, we run live, actual portfolios. The accounts are managed exactly the same as the portfolios we run for our clients at RIA Advisors. (If you’re an adviser looking for a great firm – click here.)
The following is the latest review of some of the positions in our Equity Portfolio which are either a concern, an opportunity, or are worth watching more closely.
XOM – Exxon Mobil
- As of two weeks ago, XOM was deeply oversold, and the energy sector was deeply out of favor. That is a setup for a rotation very often. With a 5% dividend yield we can afford to wait for a turn.
- We added to our existing position last week. Total return so far since the addition is 5.18% as of the close yesterday.
- We are still carrying a stop-loss on the position if our thesis doesn’t work out, but if there is a rally into the end of the year, we should see Energy pick up performance.
- The position can still be bought on pullbacks during market corrections.
- Stop is set at $66
MU – Micron Technologies
- Previously, we noted that MU had improved in performance, and a removal of tariffs will likely clear the way for a move higher in semi-conductors.
- With a P/E of 9, we like the valuation, and MU has now established a positive trend and held support.
- There is some tough resistance at $50, and we are watching that carefully.
- We added a full position to the portfolio last week on expectations of a push higher. Return is 9.86% since the addition and we will increase size above $50. The position can still be added on pullbacks.
- Stop is moved up to $42.50.
AMZN – Amazon.com
- We added a position in AMZN for the end of year shopping season. We got a little worried following the earnings announcement, but revenue growth remained solid.
- AMZN tends to perform better during the shopping season, and with the very oversold condition, the risk/reward is descent for now.
- Performance so far has been lackluster with the position only up 1.5% since our addition.
- The long-term trend remains positive and a move above $1850 should clear the way to old highs. A position can still be added.
- Stop loss is set at $1700
ABBV – Abbvie Corp.
- ABBV had a massive correction and was deeply oversold.
- With a buy signal recently triggered and breaking above resistance and the downtrend line from the old highs, we have added 1/2 position.
- We will scale into ABBV on opportunity and in the meantime we like the 5% yield on the position to pay us while we wait. Return so far has been modest at 4.63% but we like the position longer-term.
- Use pullbacks to add holdings.
- Stop loss is set at $65
KHC – Kraft Heinz
- Two weeks ago we talked about our speculative turnaround story in KHC. We still think that is the case and we added a “trading position” to the portfolio on October 30th.
- Earnings came in a bit better than expected which popped the position above important overhead resistance. Return so far since our add is 16.90%.
- With a 6% yield, and the stock turning higher, we are liking the position, BUT it is now extremely overbought short-term.
- Wait for a correction that doesn’t break support to add holdings.
- This remains a very speculative trade.
- Stop has been moved up to $30.
MDLZ – Mondelez (Sold)
- We noted last week that Mondelez had broken support but is holding its longer-term moving average.
- We had taken profits in the position previously, but we decided to go ahead and cut the position from the portfolio last week.
- That move paid off well, as the position has continued to erode.
- Position has been sold.
WELL – Welltower, Inc. (Sold 1/2)
- We have recently talked about the rotation from “defense” back to “offense” as QE gained traction in the market. That is occurring so we have reduce WELL from 1.5% of the portfolio to 0.75%.
- We still like the position longer-term and will look to add back to holdings at lower levels.
- As such we are looking at continuing to modify our positioning accordingly.
- Stop loss has been adjusted to $82.50
YUM – Yum Brands (Sold)
- Like MDLZ, YUM has come under pressure and earnings are weakening.
- We made the decision to SELL the entire position last week.
EEM – Emerging Markets (Watch List)
- As noted in yesterday’s major market commentary, EEM continues to underperform but is improving..
- However, as noted last week, QE4 is bleeding into EEM if a performance chase begins for year-end positioning.
- The current spurt higher is trying to break above resistance, but EEM is back to extremely overbought. So be patient on adding a position until we confirm the breakout is sustainable.
- The sell signal reversed to a buy last week, so with the breakout, there is potential for EEM.
- We are looking to add some exposure on any weakness and scale into our holding opportunistically.
MDYV – Mid-Cap Value (Watch List)
- As noted in our report on QE programs previously, small and mid-cap value are benefactors of increased liquidity.
- With the breakout of consolidation we are getting the entry opportunity we are looking for. The index is extremely overbought so a bit of a rest that holds the breakout will confirm a better entry point.
- We will load 1/2 of the position initially and add the second 1/2 on a breakout above previous highs.
- Stop loss will be set at $50
If you like what you see here, and need a better way to manage your own portfolio, then try out RIAPRO.NET today. Your first 30-days are on us, and there are never any contracts. We also value your privacy and never share any information from the site.
Have a great weekend.
Lance Roberts is a Chief Portfolio Strategist/Economist for RIA Advisors. He is also the host of “The Lance Roberts Podcast” and Chief Editor of the “Real Investment Advice” website and author of “Real Investment Daily” blog and “Real Investment Report“. Follow Lance on Facebook, Twitter, Linked-In and YouTube