As discussed yesterday, the markets have been quiet. Too quiet. That makes me worry as generally when volatility resurfaces it has not been kind to investors in the short-term.
But despite the lack of volatility in the market, the S&P eclipsed 2300 yesterday breaking through the psychological barrier on its continued quest towards 2400.
The important point to note here is the historical deviation between exuberance and economic realities has generally NOT been resolved by reality catching up with fantasy. It has always been the other way around.
This brings me to my interview with Danielle DiMartino-Booth this past week. She and I dig into the economy, the Fed’s missteps, and the realities that currently prevail in the market and the economy. I am sure you will enjoy the interview.
(Note: If you order a copy of Fed Up and bring it to the 2017 Economic & Investment Summit on April 1st in Houston, Texas you can have Danielle personally autograph for you. Also presenting Greg Morris, Michael Lebowitz, and Dave Collum.)
In them meantime, here is what I am reading this weekend as I put my “S&P 2300” hat on…for now.
- Slapped In The Face by Danielle DiMartino-Booth via Money Strong
- US-China Relations Speed Towards Rupture by Jim Rickards via The Daily Reckoning
- Fink: U.S. Facing Two Major Crises by Bob Bryan via Business Insider
- Optimistic Growth Forecasts Miss The Risk by Ashoka Mody via Project Syndicate
- Poll: Americans Having Doubts On Trump Agenda by Eric Pianin via Fiscal Times
- Trump May Send More Jobs To Mexico by Rob Garver via Fiscal Times
- Happiness Runs by Bill Gross via Janus Capital
- Trump Right About Need For Term Limits by Caroline Baum via MarketWatch
- Not A Nation In Crisis by Kevin Williamson via National Review
- Corporate Execs Play Politics At Their Peril by IBD
- Trump Rule Fix Means More Money For Street by Benjamin Edwards via Washington Post
- Trump Kills DOL Rule by David Bahnsen via Forbes
- Trumps Move To Roll Back Regulation A Mistake by Pedro Da Costa via BI
- Global Economy’s Surprising Resilience by Jim O’Neill via Project Syndicate
- Protectionism Won’t Help The Middle by Larry Summers via Financial Times
- Be Very Afraid Of The Stock Market by Linette Lopez via BI
- Really Difficult To Be A Bear These Days by Avi Gilburt via MarketWatch
- Markets Are Priced For Poor Returns by Jeff Erber via Grey Owl Capital Mgmt.
- Stock Market Sending Unusual Warning by Anthony Mirhaydari via Fiscal Times
- Why You Should Never Buy Stocks Again by Ryan Vlastelica via MarketWatch
- A Valentine’s Day Massacre? by The Heisenberg via Seeking Alpha
- Seth Klarman Weighs In On Trump by Andrew Ross-Sorkin via NY Times
- Stocks, Vice & Trump by James Mackintosh via WSJ
- Growth Stocks & Bond Yields by Eric Bush via GaveKal
- Fed Already Has A Problem by Pedro Da Costa via BI
- Is The Trump Rally Over Already by Edward Harrison via Credit Writedowns
- Investors Should Prepare For Bear Market by Ben Carlson via Bloomberg
- You Will Need More Than You Think by Robert Powell via USA Today
Favorite / Interesting Reads
- Robots Coming For Wall Street Jobs by John Byrne via NY Post
- Why The Market Isn’t Freaking Out Over Trump by Tyler Cowen via Bloomberg
- Trump Not The Only One Working Longer by Justin Fox via Bloomberg
- Hedge Funds Tracking Every Move by Rachael Levy via BI
- Retirement: $350k For Healthcare? by Robert Powell via MarketWatch
- I Am Long Stupidity by EconMatters
- Yardeni’s Magical Stock Market Indicator by Kevin Muir via The Macro Tourist
- Quick Guide To Border Tax Adjustments by William Gale via RCM
- 4% Growth Or Crash by Marc Joffe via The Fiscal Times
- Biggest Tax Mistakes Retirees Make by Maurie Backman via USA Today
- Economic Theory Rarely Survives Contact by Joe Calhoun via Alhambra Partners
- Lacy Hunt: Why Bond Yields Are Going Lower by Tyler Durden via ZeroHedge
- Texas Realtors Paying For Bad Research by Aaron Layman via AaronLayman.com
- Investors Rarely See Manias In Progress by John Hussman via Hussman Funds
- Trump Rally Is Thinning by Dana Lyons via Tumblr
- 3-Popular Idiotic Investment Strategies by Jesse Felder via The Felder Report
“The only thing standing between you and your goal is the Bulls*** story you keep telling yourself as to why you can’t achieve it.” -The Wolf Of Wall Street
Questions, comments, suggestions – please email me.
Lance Roberts is a Chief Portfolio Strategist/Economist for RIA Advisors. He is also the host of “The Lance Roberts Podcast” and Chief Editor of the “Real Investment Advice” website and author of “Real Investment Daily” blog and “Real Investment Report“. Follow Lance on Facebook, Twitter, Linked-In and YouTube